Thursday, April 07, 2005

Licensed to kill


Yahoo! News - Florida eyes allowing residents to open fire whenever they see threat


MIAMI (AFP) - Florida's legislature has approved a bill that would give residents the right to open fire against anyone they perceive as a threat in public, instead of having to try to avoid a conflict as under prevailing law.

Outraged opponents say the law will encourage Floridians to open fire first and ask questions later, fostering a sort of statewide Wild West shootout mentality. Supporters argue that criminals will think twice if they believe they are likely to be promptly shot when they assault someone.


Well, I guess I should have known that this kind of thing would come to the desk of one of the Bush brothers. I was thinking it might be W, however. The "Shoot first and ask questions later" legislation sounds like the biggest cave in to the NRA that ever was.

Make no mistake this is not any kind of anti-crime legislation. This is a straight-up giveaway to the gun lobby. Even if Jeb decides not to sign it it is still the biggest win the NRA has had all year. I actually don't expect it to become law (or really to stay law for long) I mean even the bubbas down at the hunting club must realize that if anyone can shoot you in the street and then make up a story about a midnight mugging, it won't make you safer. I have to believe that Jeb's going to turn it down.

If I'm wrong I'm sorry.

I'm sorry for Florida.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home